Community Support for OpenDocMan (Deprecated)
Document Management requirements - Printable Version

+- Community Support for OpenDocMan (Deprecated) (https://forum.opendocman.com)
+-- Forum: OpenDocMan Community Discussion (https://forum.opendocman.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.opendocman.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Document Management requirements (/thread-492.html)

Document Management requirements - Roberta - 02-14-2012

Hello, I'm evaluating a number of document management systems to find the most suitable one for our needs and I'm looking at Opendocman as one of them. Just wondering if anyone who knows the product well has the time to answer a few questions about it...

1) Is it certified to work on Redhat 5? (Looks like it would with standard components-apache,mySQL,php)
2) Will it import XML documents and store them in that format?
3) Require that users are able to view documents online and also the ability to print or download them too?
4) Require individual security profiles for each user that define what documents that user is allowed to access
5) Require a scalable solution as it is likely this will grow to thousands of documents over time, will opendocman do this?

Thanks for any and all help with this
Roberta

Re: Document Management requirements - Mikeyy - 02-14-2012

Roberta Wrote:Hello, I'm evaluating a number of document management systems to find the most suitable one for our needs and I'm looking at Opendocman as one of them. Just wondering if anyone who knows the product well has the time to answer a few questions about it...

1) Is it certified to work on Redhat 5? (Looks like it would with standard components-apache,mySQL,php)
2) Will it import XML documents and store them in that format?
3) Require that users are able to view documents online and also the ability to print or download them too?
4) Require individual security profiles for each user that define what documents that user is allowed to access
5) Require a scalable solution as it is likely this will grow to thousands of documents over time, will opendocman do this?

Thanks for any and all help with this
Roberta

1. I don't see why not.
2. You can check that by installing ODM localy or trying it in online demo (not sure if that is still active). You will need to add xml to list of documents ODM is handling.
3. Not sure what do you need here, it's a web based program, it can be viewed online if you want, or on intranet (way I'm using it in my company).
4. Yes
5. Yes, but you need to take in account bug in 1.2.6beta, with more documents loading of index page is slower for users which can see all files (admins). This needs to be fixed.

Re: Document Management requirements - Roberta - 02-14-2012

Great, thanks for your reply, just one more question

Is there a search tool and can it search content as well as title? We will be putting parts manuals online and the users may need to search specifically for one part which would be in the content rather than in the title of the document.

Thanks
Roberta

Re: Document Management requirements - Mikeyy - 02-14-2012

Yes, there is search tool and no, it can't search content, just file names, description etc.

Re: Document Management requirements - Roberta - 02-15-2012

Hi Mikeyy

Thanks a lot for your help with all the questions. How long have you been using OpenDocMan?

Roberta

Re: Document Management requirements - Mikeyy - 02-15-2012

Check my forum join date bellow my nickname, around that time. Smile