Community Support for OpenDocMan (Deprecated)

Full Version: Few questions from someone new to OpenDocMan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm helping a UK charity redevelop their intranet (with Joomla) and they would also like a document management system. There really isn't one for Joomla (not surprisingly, it wasn't built for this!) so I'm looking at Open Source alternatives.

Just to check (and sorry for the n00b questions):

* OpenDocMan allows the creation of various groups (categories) and fine-grained access to the documents within it?
* Can users upload any types of files (probably mainly Microsoft Office files) and work on them? Do they check them out by downloading, then work on revisions and then upload? I can't quite get my head around how the process works!
* Can I install OpenDocMan into a subdomain, e.g. docs.sitename.org.uk ?
* If I install OpenDocMan into a localhost WAMP, which directory should I put the /document_repository/ folder in. This is running on WindowsXP, so the path to the folder I'm going to install OpenDocMan into is: C:\wamp\www\opendocman

Many thanks for your help.

Dave.
Quote:OpenDocMan allows the creation of various groups (categories) and fine-grained access to the documents within it?

Sort of. You create "Departments". Each file then has Department-specific permissions, and User-specific permissions.

Quote: Can users upload any types of files (probably mainly Microsoft Office files) and work on them? Do they check them out by downloading, then work on revisions and then upload? I can't quite get my head around how the process works!

You can configure which file-types are acceptable. When they need to edit them they check-out the file, edit it, save it, and then check-in the file.

Quote: Can I install OpenDocMan into a subdomain, e.g. docs.sitename.org.uk ?

Yes

Quote:If I install OpenDocMan into a localhost WAMP, which directory should I put the /document_repository/ folder in. This is running on WindowsXP, so the path to the folder I'm going to install OpenDocMan into is: C:\wamp\www\opendocman

I would place the dataDir as c:\wamp\www\document_repository. That way, visitors would not be able to browse the /document_repository/ folder in their web browser as it would be one level below your root web folder.
Great - thanks Steve!