Community Support for OpenDocMan (Deprecated)

Full Version: DataDir Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Folks, I've tried to setup ODM several times over the past several months and am consistently having the same issue or error:

There is a problem with your dataDir. Check to make sure it exists and is writeable

1) I've moved the directors around under my host 1and1 and opened up the permissions to 777 and have gotten nothing.

2) I've tried to set this up on another host, same error.

3) I've tried to point the 'dataDir' => to several different directories or versions of...


a) I only have ftp access and the databases are setup and running;

b) The server is linux.

c) the URL is a subdomain --- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=""></a><!-- m -->

d) I don't know if I need to list the datadir as: /var/www/XXXX/data/, or /XXXX/data/, or /local/data/, or <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=""></a><!-- m --> or what.


It cannot be permissions, it has to be something else. Need some help please!


The dataDir is a folder on your server, which could be anywhere, and it should be outside of your web server document root. This prevents visitors from using <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=""></a><!-- m -->, for example, to view the files without any access restriction.

I typically put my dataDir in /var/www/document_repository/ on my servers. The key to the dataDir is that because it is outside of your web document root, the permissions have to be set so that the web server user (apache,httpd, etc.) need to have read/write/execute permissions on your dataDir folder. Typically I do this by setting the owner of the folder to the web server user.

Another option if you don't have root access to the server is to put your dataDir in your /home/myusername/ folder, and make sure the folder is r/w/x.

If you are still having issues with the folder permissions, check your web server error log to see what the error message is.
Figured it out - it had to do with absolute paths and 1and1's use of relative paths.

I used:

$path = getcwd();
echo "Your Absoluthe Path is: ";
echo $path;

in a php file to return the value of the absolute path for my datadir and updated the config file.

Thanks for the help,